Pray to the Moon when She is round,
Luck with you will then abound,
What you seek for shall be found
On the sea or solid ground.

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Poetry for the Esbat: Wherever You Are, There You Are... Moon 2015


The Moon, from The Alice Tarot  by Baba Studio & Magic Realist Press.
The Moon, from The Alice Tarot
by Baba Studio & Magic Realist Press.


Wherever you are, there you are. 
Fortunately, also is the Moon.


I have fallen through the Rabbit Hole again & tumbled away from the precious silent, stillness of the High Desert into the drone of Alaska's largest city...

Why we always do this when the Moon is reaching Her fullness, I am not sure, but there must be some unconscious reasoning at work. No wonder I think of the Moon as transition...

I rose on our departure morning ready for tears, a deep sobbing sadness of cathartic proportions. But my emotional upwelling never came to be, for the demands of readiness & the bustle of preparations stole away the moment. 

I still ache for home & all that the term includes. But particularly this time, I yearn for that house which speaks to me as though I am special.

As I cast a stare at the consistent, texturized walls of our modern, very practical Northern abode, my heart aches for the imperfection & impracticality of that stack of crude yet carefully placed bricks sighing in the desert. Friends & family are mobile, connected -- they can visit, telephone, video conference -- but the house must stay the course. If I could place a phone call just to hear it breathing, I would. 

What can I do, but ask the Moon to keep Her careful eye upon my Beloved? May Her soft, cyclical gaze watch over our precious dwelling, friend, sanctuary & all that surrounds that place -- canyon, winds, barn, shed, corral, trees, birds, soil, mycelia, mammals small & large, the hordes of insects & arachnids... everyone slowly overtaking the place, claiming it as their own. 

I can't begrudge them for having good taste.


And so, on to the poetry for this Esbat. Goethe seems to say it best this round. Bittersweet yet beloved under the Moon. She makes everything better.


To the Full Moon Rising
by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Goethe)
Translation by A. S. Kline

Are you leaving me already?
Only now, you were so near!
Cloud-mass shadows you, I see,
And you’re no longer here.

Yet you feel how sad I am,
Your rim still shines, a star!
Telling me how loved I am,
Though my Beloved’s far.

So pursue, now! Brighter, brighter,
Purer ways, with greater light!
Though my heart in pain beats faster,
More than blessed is the Night.


Blessings to you this Esbat, my friends.


There's no place like home.
There's no place like home.

6 comments:

The Open Gyre said...

Hey dear Moma, always think of you on the full moon ... Didn't see it here as it was cloudy but thought of you nonetheless. And thought of you again today when I came across this: http://www.casavage.co.uk/gallery/seeingindark.html

See in the dark, x

Moma Fauna said...

Oh, just look at that "Birth of the Moon!"
It's peculiar, this making of relationship we do... Tendrils across the ether, pixel talk. I think of you at this time too, but I do so more often than monthly because your journal is my bibliomancy. It is a mirror into all the thoughts I have not yet put to words. Everything is personally relevant... Perhaps you read my mind. But of course this time is special, we can share in the joy of Her being, seeing in the dark, proving that this little big world is not so far flung as we sometimes think. :)

Bryan Perrin said...

I love what you write! Thank you for writing about what you Love!

susan said...

Everywhere you go, there you are. And I used to marvel that this same moon overhead is also overead on the other side of the world or the country (you) or the mountains or city. Marvelous this time & space. And you are special. Xoxox

Moma Fauna said...

Bryan, Same to you. ❤︎

Moma Fauna said...

Susan,

Somewhere in there I mentioned something about thinking of the Moon as transition. I do believe there was a point when I said that in a post long ago & you commented back for the first time. (I believe there was a cat on the Tarot card.) So, in writing this, I inevitably thought of you... a little like some kind of unaccounted for anniversary.
I have looked to the Moon often enough with you in mind that now I also think of the Moon as You.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...